[WSBAPT] joint tenancy property agreements

Sharon Rutberg email at sharonrutberglaw.com
Mon Aug 22 16:21:33 PDT 2016

Hello, listmates -

Does anyone out there have experience with "joint tenancy property
agreements"? My clients, a same-sex couple, executed one some years ago,
after buying a home together but before marrying or forming a registered
domestic partnership. The agreement recites that they hold their home as
JTROS and spells out the amount of equity each would receive if they split
up and sold the property.

They married recently, and are updating their estate plan. I'd like to
advise them of the pros and cons of keeping the JTROS and JT agreement vs.
converting their home to community property. There could be a benefit as to
getting a full step-up in basis at the first death, but I want to understand
any other ramifications.

Thanks,

Sharon

Law Office of Sharon C. Rutberg, PS

1734 NW Market St.

Seattle, WA 98107

Website: www.sharonrutberglaw.com <http://www.sharonrutberglaw.com/>

206-409-2604

email at sharonrutberglaw.com

Washington State Bar #47055
D.C. Bar #420576

NOTICES
The contents of this message and any attachments may be protected by the
attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine, and/or other applicable
protections. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this
message in error, please notify the sender and promptly delete the message.
Thank you for your assistance.

IRS Circular 230 Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed
by the IRS, we inform you that to the extent this communication contains
advice relating to a Federal tax issue, it is not intended or written to be
used, and it may not be used, for (i) the purpose of avoiding any penalties
that may be imposed on you or any other person or entity under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting or marketing to another party any transaction
or matter addressed herein.