[WSBAPT] Assignment of Heirship

jeffrey winter jdwinter at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:07:25 PDT 2016

Listmates,

I have not run into this situation before, and would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

I was presented with an existing probate that has been percolating for over 5 years and is quite a mess.  The PC wanted to know whether she should purchase a beneficiary's interest in the Estate.  PC is not named as a beneficiary in the Will.  Another beneficiary already sold his interest to a third party.  There are a myriad of issues with this probate - including potential insolvency, and the fact that no Inventory or accounting has been rendered by any of the PRs to date - but the question I have is regarding the sale of beneficiary interests to third parties.

It seems to me that a beneficiary should be able to assign his or her interest -- but where the assignment is to a third party not named in the Will, it also seems that a TEDRA would be required, where all of the parties (including PR and all beneficiaries) have to agree to distribute in a manner other than provided for in the Will.

Your thoughts?

Jeff Winter
Jeffrey D. Winter
Law Office of Jeffrey D. Winter, P.S.