[WSBAPT] Stepmom be administrator of intestate estate?

Jill H. Sasser jill.sasser at landerholm.com
Wed Apr 20 14:30:06 PDT 2016

How long has your decedent been deceased?  If it’s been more than 40 days, anyone can petition.

However, I would ask your client whether he thinks that the mother is going to object.  If she is, I would just petition for dad to be appointed.  He can always have stepmother or you assist him with his efforts, either informally or formally (I think we have used a limited power of attorney for this purpose).

If your client doesn’t think that the mother will object, then I would petition for both the dad and the stepmother to serve.

Good luck,
Jill

Jill H. Sasser | Attorney at Law
[Landerholm Logo]