[WSBAPT] Probate & the CIR

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:35:46 PDT 2016

Unfortunately, the decedent purchased and owned the house before he got together with GF.  While I’ll explore this further with GF, I believe that decedent supported GF (who lived there) and GF contributed little, if any, towards upkeep and mortgage payments.  The couple never put GF on title to the residence because she had outstanding federal tax liens against her.  There is some equity in the house so she will end up with some cash but she could be homeless after that.  All debts are in decedent’s name and the PR sent the Creditor’s Notice to all creditors.

Maybe, another idea is to resign as PR and do nothing and stop making payments on the residence.  My experience has been that for a messy default like this with a deceased borrower, it takes the lender several years (up to six years) to get around to actually foreclosing on the residence.  I guess the analysis (and gamble) would be to balance the possibility to live in the residence mortgage-free for, say, 4 to 6 years, versus getting whatever equity might be left over after the residence is sold and the creditors are paid.  Sooooo, is it possible for the GF to resign as PR without liability at this point?