[WSBAPT] Durable Power of Attorney Question

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Thu Sep 24 09:42:28 PDT 2015

A meaty question for first thing Thursday.

I generally separate medical and general powers of attorney for exactly the reasons you describe. Those who might share values and be good medical decision makers are not always the ones good with money.

I would consider making the adult child first choice, but add companion as a back-up in the event of unavailability of the first named agent, might even go so far as to indicate that "such unavailability as might occur when I am travelling outside the state of Washington with Backup".  An alternate option would be naming adult child and/or companion to serve jointly or individually, but this would require explaining the problems that would arise if they did not agree.

As for the prior response, about codicils and whether something similar exists for a durable power of attorney, I would expect that the principal can do whatever they want, to the point of executing (with all the same formality) an amendment to the POA revoking only the parts of the prior document that are relevant and identifying the substituting language, designation, etc. HOWEVER, as a general rule, I avoid codicils where the document can be easily re-drafted. I think the confusion that can arise, the possibility of errors and the hassle factor dictate one document to do one job over multiple documents to do one job, or one document to do multiple jobs. If I have a client making minor changes to a controversial Will, I might utilize a codicil. If I can simply pull the document up in my computer and type in a couple quick changes and execute a new complete original, that is often going to serve the client better.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.