[WSBAPT] Durable Power of Attorney Question

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Thu Sep 24 09:20:06 PDT 2015

Gus:
Why not do a DPOA for financial and a DPOA for healthcare.  That way the adult child is only on financial.  From a practical standpt, when it comes to medical decision-making requiring joint decision-making can be burdensome especially in times of emergencies and generally medical professionals aren’t going to pour through the document to see if the AIF needs to consult with someone.  You can go the route of having the child and the companion as co-AIFs on the healthcare with either possessing the authority or just state in non-emergency situations the adult child (AIF for medical) needs to consult with the companion on care decisions and medical treatment prior to making such decision.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
Adoption Attorney*
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907
Telephone:  (509) 248-7220
Facsimile:  (509) 575-1883

NOTICES:
 *Adoption Attorney reflects election as a Fellow of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, an invitation based organization of 300+ attorneys nationwide, under its criteria of experience, ethics and peer recommendation. Washington's Supreme Court has not yet developed or recognized a credentialing process for specialties, and certification/fellowship is not required to practice law in this state.