[WSBAPT] Wills/POA costs?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Sep 16 13:49:49 PDT 2015

Best not to ask that kind of question; it raises questions of price-fixing in the industry.

If you're going to charge a flat fee, I'd suggest estimating an average number of hours spent on such work -- including initial interview and information gathering, not just drafting time -- and multiply it by your regular hourly rate. Adjust upward or downward depending on how much risk you want to take on by being underpaid, versus potentially using the services as a loss leader to gain a regular client.

We tend to charge EP hourly now, but when we did charge flat fee, we had Will drafting broken down--simple will was one charge; will with a tax shelter trust was a higher charge; adding a children/grandchildren trust was a surcharge above the base charge; etc. All determined based on how much time we thought we spent typically for such things.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC