[WSBAPT] Family Support versus additional exempt assets; counting of community property?

Paul Grant paulnnepa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:09:43 PDT 2015

Eric,

My reading of the statute for the issues you presented:  #1 - I agree with
your interpretation that the $125 is only talking about a decedent's
portion of c/p or separate property.  If the surviving spouse has $500k in
separate property it is not the decedent's, so the exemption applies to
only the decedent's estate, and for that matter, only the probateable
estate.  Also, half of the c/p is considered the surviving spouse's and
should not be reflected in the $125 calculation; I have calculated the
entire c/p value then halved the amount and have been successful in courts
accepting this interpretation in awarding the exemption.  A consideration
under 11.54.050 is for a creditor to claim that there are nonprobate assets
sufficient to the survivor and therefore a reduction should be applied to
the presumption.

Question #2 in my opinion is simply telling us what the exemption amount
is... no where in 11.54 is the ceiling exemption expressed.  It is a
horrible reference but 6.13.030 is only pulling the exemption amount to the
homestead statute.  It is an aggregate amount so the combination of real,
personal, investment, etc is all combined to reflect the exempt amount (I
find Mike accurately states whether it is c/p or separate prop).  However,
there is an opportunity to seek an increased award, so just like a creditor
can seek for a reduction so the petition can seek for an increase.

That is my humble interpretation - hope my rambling assists

Paul H. Grant - JD, LL.M

Planning with Purpose, Inc
Lynnwood, WA 98036
425-939-9948
www.planningwithpurposeinc.com

Estate Planning. Business Planning. Wealth Succession.