[WSBAPT] slayer statute / preponderance of the evidence

Krista MacLaren kjm.inc at mac.com
Thu Oct 1 11:22:58 PDT 2015

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for all of your very helpful replies to my question.  In this case, I am 99% certain that the accused has nothing of value to his name and there would be no point in pursuing a civil claim against him.  The decedent also had very little to her name, though she was solvent.  I guess I was thinking that if I had something like the probable cause affidavit to present to ex parte with a noticed hearing, that there would be a good chance that the accused would not even respond to or contest my motion.  It sounds though, like maybe I am underestimating the complexity of the process?  If the accused did not respond, would the court give me the finding, or could the court nonetheless be unwilling to make such a finding?

Thank you again for your assistance!

Krista MacLaren
Attorney at Law
Northgate Executive Center II
9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 600
Seattle WA 98115
(206) 523-6116

Please note, as with most email providers, Mac does not encrypt email messages. Accordingly, the confidentiality of messages sent to this address cannot be assured. This e-mail is intended for viewing only by the individual or entity to whom its content is addressed, and it may contain confidential or
privileged information. If you received this email in error, please honor the privacy of the intended recipient: reply to the sender regarding the error and delete the message.