[WSBAPT] Posthumous Tissue Collection

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Thu Nov 19 12:03:46 PST 2015

Hello:

I agree with Sherman.  Recall that the statute cited by Sherman is the only one (to my knowledge) in which a principal/agency relationship remains intact and enforceable after the death of the principal.

The Durable Power of Attorney powers for the appointed Attorney-in-Fact end at the time of death of the principal, so I don't think that would give the Attorney-in-Fact continuing powers to authorize such reproductive materials harvesting.

I think putting a parallel provision in the Principal's Will is helpful, in conformity with the authority given in the Instructions for Disposition of Remains document. (Use language like "Prior to the disposition of my remains, I authorize my agent to collect reproductive tissue, and to use that reproductive tissue in the manner he/she deems fit, including for posthumous reproduction, carrying out directions and authority that I have included in my Last Will and Testament, dated ________.  PROVIDED, that only (my spouse) is authorized to carry out these directions and we must be married at the time of my death, and (my spouse) must be the individual acting as my Agent under this Instructions for Disposition of Remain document."  NOTE:  this is a rough approximation of what might be appropriate language.  I think you would want the folks to be married and, most probably not estranged and/or living separate and apart, at the time of the death.  I don't think the estranged spouse should continue to have the power to carry out posthumous reproduction, in the event of the Principal's death in the midst of a Dom Rel filing.)

Note:  I have not intentionally left out consideration of unmarried folks who are co-habiting, and same sex couples, married or otherwise.  Such issues are well beyond the intended scope of my comments.

I think you would strengthen the effectiveness of these instructions if the Agent in the Instructions for Disposition of Remains and the PR named in the Will are the same person, and if that person is the spouse who would be using the reproductive materials.

HOWEVER, The issue of posthumous reproduction is potentially a minefield of legal chaos, it seems to me, if there is a family trust set up by the parents of the deceased which references benefits that are supposed to flow to John Doe's children, or issue, with John Doe being the son of the Grantors of the Trust.  Query:  I think most would agree that if the child had been conceived prior to the Principal's death, such a child would be his child, but a posthumous birth (perhaps to a widow who has already married another person - let's make that new spouse sterile, just for fun) creates almost scary complications.  And, oh, by the way, those complications would be magnified if the Grantor grandparents really did not like the widowed former daughter-in-law who has married that other person.  Remember, the widowed former daughter-in-law would be able to deny access to the newly-born grandchild, by the grandparents, whilst still holding out her hand, on behalf of the child, for grandchild status for that child as a beneficiary of the Trust.)

Note - the same would be true if the widowed spouse was male, and was using the deceased wife's reproductive material, imposing a new, certainly unanticipated, grandchild as a beneficiary of the Trust.  In other words, males can be conniving and manipulative, just like females can be (perhaps more so).  But, I did not want to complicate my comments with a bunch of she/he and her/him references that might otherwise be required in the name of gender sensitivity.

My 3 cents worth.  (Inflation has raised the former 2 cents worth to 3 cents).

Good luck.

Regards,

Doug Bratt

P.S.  Query:  How long after death can reproductive material be recovered from a deceased person's body?  Perhaps it does not have to happen in the hospital.  Perhaps a sympathetic health care provider would be willing to carry out the procedure at the mortuary after the body had been released for disposition.  Probably depends upon whether or not the body had been retained at the hospital for purposes of an autopsy.

Much also depends upon the circumstances of a death.  A sudden, unexpected death, perhaps from an accident, would call for posthumous harvesting of the reproductive material.  If a person was ill, however, and not expected to survive, could not the harvesting take place prior to death, with clear authority given in a Will as to rights of the surviving spouse to use the materials as he/she sees fit, including posthumous reproduction?

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Foster]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.

NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected by attorney-client privilege.  This email address is not monitored at all times.  If your matter is urgent, please phone my office during regular business hours.

TAX ADVICE NOTICE: IRS Circular 230 requires us to advise you that, if this communication or any attachment contains any tax advice, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of avoiding federal tax penalties. A taxpayer may rely on professional advice to avoid federal tax penalties only if the advice is reflected in a comprehensive tax opinion that conforms to stringent requirements. Please contact us if you have any questions about Circular 230 or would like to discuss our preparation of an opinion that conforms to these IRS rules.