[WSBAPT] Trustee Accounting Question

Felicia Value, Attorney at Law felicia at skagitprobate.com
Sun May 17 09:34:04 PDT 2015

Thank you Karen!

From: Karen E. Boxx
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2015 11:40 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Trustee Accounting Question

Felicia, here’s what was intended by the rewrite of 11.96A.070:

-        The 3 year SOL begins to run when the trustee gives a report to the beneficiary disclosing the info that would be the basis of a claim and tells the benie that the SOL has started to run.  The report doesn’t have to be in the form described in paragraph b or have to give all that info BUT a report in that form gets the presumption that there was adequate disclosure that the statute starts to run.  If no report, then under 11.96A.070(c), the SOL is 3 years from the end of the trustee’s term, the termination of the trust or the termination of the benie’s interest in the trust (whichever happens first).  The revised statute of limitations is explained on page 882 of Katie Groblewski’s and my law review article:  88 Wash.L.Rev. 813 (2013).  http://ssrn.com/abstract=2340718

karen