[WSBAPT] Medicaid

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Fri May 1 09:09:03 PDT 2015

Amanda, I suspect that this contract will be counted as an asset, unless you can prove that the market value is zero, or that it cannot be sold.

With $500K still owing, it wouldn’t seem that it has no value. If there is 5 years of good payment history, it probably can be sold.

You need to closely examine the provisions of WAC 182-512-0350 - SSI-related medical—Property and contracts excluded as resources.

The rules are pretty clear. That said, if you can sell the contract, or get the buyers to refinance, you could very likely invest the proceeds into an annuity that will protect the community spouse.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.