[WSBAPT] Filing jointly vs separately and effect on CP

Jennifer Y. Sohn jennifer at sohn-law.com
Fri Mar 27 16:45:06 PDT 2015

Thanks for your responses!

Best regards,

Jennifer

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com [mailto:wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com] On Behalf Of Eric Nelsen
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 4:02 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Filing jointly vs separately and effect on CP

Commingling only occurs where assets are mixed together in a way that makes them actually untraceable to their separate property origins.

In re Marriage of Skarbek, 100 Wn. App. 444, 448, 997 P.2d 447 (2000);

In re Marriage of Pearson-Maines, 70 Wn. App. 860, 866, 855 P.2d 1210 (1993)

I don't think a joint tax return would have any effect in that way. How stuff is classified on a tax return won't affect traceability. Lumping together interest income, say, from two separate accounts and a community account won't make it impossible to look at the account records themselves to trace origin.

Actually, I wonder about the use of separate returns in previous years. I know the IRS has some funny ideas about how community property income is supposed to be reported. But that's all I know--enough to flag the issue for an accountant.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen

SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC