[WSBAPT] Filing jointly vs separately and effect on CP

Mark Higgins markthiggins at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 16:06:53 PDT 2015

Jennifer--Filing jointly shouldn't affect the underlying character of the
income or the assets generating the income.  However, how they privately
determine their shares of the tax might be an issue.  For example, if wife
has more income showing on the return, one would think her separate assets
would kick in their share of the tax burden.​

Mark

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Jennifer Y. Sohn <jennifer at sohn-law.com>
wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering if filing tax returns jointly vs separately has any
> impact on whether the reported assets are considered community or separate
> property. One of my clients has kept her separate assets separate from the
> community property and has also been filing the tax returns separately too.
> She and her husband are having discussions about filing jointly, and we are
> wondering if that will be considered commingling. I don’t think it would,
> but please let me know if you have any insights about this.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Jennifer Y. Sohn
>
> Attorney at Law
>
> (Licensed in CA and WA)
>
> Sohn Law PLLC
>
> 10900 NE 4th Street, Suite 1850
>
> Bellevue, WA 98004
>
> Tel: 206.617.7874
>
> Fax: 425.732.9748
>
> Email: jennifer at sohn-law.com
>
> http://www.sohn-law.com
>

> Confidential. This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying
> documents contain information belonging to the sender which may be
> confidential and legally privileged. This information is intended only for
> the use of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail
> transmission was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended
> recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in
> reliance on the contents of the information contained in this transmission
> is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
> please delete the message. Thank you.
>

> Circular 230 Disclaimer. Any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this
> communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be
> used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under
> the internal revenue code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
> another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Mark T. Higgins
Mark T. Higgins, P.C.
P.O. Box 57
Darrington, WA 98241