[WSBAPT] best way to deed property to heir who is buying out siblings

MK Henderson law.mkh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 09:15:17 PDT 2015

The Real Estate Excise Tax would be owed on the Promissory note because the
exchange is not just an inheritance. If the siblings agree they could enter
a TEDRA agreement setting out the "inheritance" portion and the amount of
the sale.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Chandra Lewnau <chandra at lewnaulaw.com>
wrote:

> I have a probate where one heir wishes to purchase the decedent's home. Is
> there any reason this can't be done in one step - i.e. a deed from the PR
> (as pr and as individual) to the heir - rather than PR to all heirs and
> then all heirs to the purchasing heir? It's a small estate with two sibling
> heirs who get along well. The purchasing heir will take a smaller share of
> other assets and give a promissory note for the remaining balance with a
> relatively short payoff. It seems simple, I'm wondering if there are any
> tax or other consequences I may be missing.
>
>   *Chandra M. Lewnau*   Wills & Trusts | Probate | Small Business
>   [image: photo]
> Phone: 206-317-4282
> Email: chandra at lewnaulaw.com
> Website: lewnaulaw.com
> Address: 1001 4th Ave., 44th Floor, Seattle, WA 98154
>  <http://linkedin.com/in/chandralewnau>  <http://twitter.com/lawspotting>
> <http://plus.google.com/+ChandraLewnau/posts>
>   In-person meetings available in West Seattle or downtown Seattle.
>   <http://scheduleonce.com/chandralewnau>  Schedule an appointment online
> <http://scheduleonce.com/chandralewnau>
> CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION - This communication constitutes an electronic
> communication within the meaning of the Electronic Communications Privacy
> Act, 18 U.S.C. Section 2510, and its disclosure is strictly limited to the
> recipient intended by the sender. It may contain information that is
> proprietary, privileged, and/or confidential. If you are not the intended
> recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of any of the
> contents is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this message in
> error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original
> transmission and all copies.
>
> IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE - To ensure compliance with requirements
> imposed by the IRS, we hereby inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained
> in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or
> written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (a) avoiding
> penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (b) promoting, marketing, or
> recommending to another party any matter addressed herein.
>  Get a signature like this:
> <http://ws-stats.appspot.com/r?rdata=eyJydXJsIjogImh0dHA6Ly93d3cud2lzZXN0YW1wLmNvbS8/dXRtX3NvdXJjZT1leHRlbnNpb24mdXRtX21lZGl1bT1lbWFpbCZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249cHJvbW9fNDUiLCAiZSI6ICJwcm9tb180NV9jbGljayJ9> Click
> here!
> <http://ws-stats.appspot.com/r?rdata=eyJydXJsIjogImh0dHA6Ly93d3cud2lzZXN0YW1wLmNvbS8/dXRtX3NvdXJjZT1leHRlbnNpb24mdXRtX21lZGl1bT1lbWFpbCZ1dG1fY2FtcGFpZ249cHJvbW9fNDUiLCAiZSI6ICJwcm9tb180NV9jbGljayJ9>

Mary K. Henderson
Henderson Law Office PLLC