[WSBAPT] REcording Death certificate without soc sec number costs $50

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Mon Mar 9 16:19:04 PDT 2015

Usually Lincoln County is a pretty laid back county to work with. The sent me a “don’t do this again” letter, which was better than rejecting my recording.

and a form letter after I recorded an “Affidavit to clear title Re: Community Property Agreement” from the Auditor’s office. I had attached a certified  death certificate.  Goal was to  clear title without a probate.

They said that in the future they would charge a $50 non-standard document fee if we record a death certificate after having removed the Social Security number.  In this case, which I didn’t notice, the client had also removed the mother’s  name for reasons which I don’t have any idea why she did it.

“This alteration no longer makes this a certified copy of a government issued document, which no longer exempts the document from the formatting standards”.

Is this a common approach?  Is there contrary authority?

I suppose I could call it an exhibit “A” to the 2 page affidavit, which does conform to the formatting standards, but I don’t think that would help.

We could leave the social security number on the death certificate, and save $50, but I thought that was not what is being recommended nowadays.

Joshua F. Grant, PS
Attorney at Law
P. O. Box 619
Wilbur, WA 99185