[WSBAPT] My first TEDRA??

Sam Furgason sam at furgasons.com
Tue Jun 9 16:38:09 PDT 2015

Amanda,

I’d like to make an observation: Most irrevocable decedents’ trusts funded as a result of the death of one spouse of a joint revocable living trust have more to offer than just tax savings. For example, creditor protection, SNT language, identity theft or protection of the first spouse’s assets from unscrupulous people who would take advantage of the elderly. While the surviving spouse may think she may never lose her mental faculties, that does happen to anyone who lives long enough. I look on the cost of a simple 1041 not as a nuisance, but as a (deductible) insurance premium. And she will still have the same income tax return and tax obligation even if one or both of the trusts are terminated.