[WSBAPT] Effect of adding a notarized codicil to a will that is not self-proving

Sarah Jael Dion sarah at dionlaw.com
Mon Jun 1 13:45:08 PDT 2015

Hi Listmates!

I am in need of guidance from more experienced estate planning attorneys!

I have a client with a will that was not notarized, and is therefore not self-proving. I have been retained to draft a codicil to make some changes to her will. I was wondering whether, if I draft the codicil such that it republishes the will, I can cure the lack of notarization in the original document? Would this be effective? I looked at the RCW and didn’t see any guidance there.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Sarah Jael Dion

Dion Law PLLC
206-550-4005
sarah at dionlaw.com
dionlaw.com

This message is private or privileged. If you are not the person for whom this message is intended, please notify me immediately and delete the message. Please do not copy or send this message to anyone else.