[WSBAPT] Joint real property with right of survivorship - anything additional recorded at death of joint tenant?

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Thu Jul 23 16:06:39 PDT 2015

The language used in the deed "husband and wife" establishes community
property. The reference to survivorship is extraneous. There is no need to
record an additional deed. The clerk at the auditor's office is practicing
law, and that not very well.

It would be useful to record an Affidavit of Community Property, with
attachment of the death certificate (redacting the SSN and any other info
you don't want in the public record).
You should also notify the Assessor/Treasurer of the death and they will
change the tax rolls to the survivor's name.

A form of affidavit is available at the DOR website and complies with the
rules for exemption from excise tax.
http://dor.wa.gov/content/Search/Default.aspx?search=affidavit+community+pro
perty
Select the first item in the screen and you will  see the form in PDF.

More Dirt, Than Dead,

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.