[WSBAPT] sticky DPOA scenario

Krista MacLaren kjm.inc at mac.com
Thu Jan 22 12:15:01 PST 2015

Hi Everyone,

I could use some advice regarding an ethical and substantive dilemma with a potential client vis-a-vis her daughter who holds DPOA currently effective.  Principal (PC) is consistently saying I don't want my daughter making my decisions.  PC seems competent over the phone.  Daughter says mom has been diagnosed with dementia and has no business talking to a lawyer independently.

I think daughter has mom's safety at heart, and is frustrated with mom (who talks too much and is does have some paranoia, in my experience).  I think mom would rather stay at home and risk potential accident, etc. than feel controlled.  I think a sit-down meeting between them could solve the problems.  But I don't know how to make it happen with daughter thinking only scum bag lawyer would talk directly to allegedly incompetent mom.

If there is someone who has navigated this kind of dynamic before, I would love to have a conversation.
thank you,

Krista J. MacLaren
Attorney at Law
Northgate Executive Center II
9725 3rd Ave NE, Suite 600
Seattle, WA 98115
(206)523-6116
kjm.inc at mac.com

Please note, as with most email providers, Mac does not encrypt email messages.  Accordingly, the confidentiality of messages sent to this address cannot be assured.  This e-mail is intended for viewing only by the individual or entity to whom its content is addressed, and it may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you received this email in error, please honor the privacy of the intended recipient: reply to the sender regarding the error and delete the message.