[WSBAPT] Snohomish County Probate - Death Certificate Needed

Richard Wills richardwills at washington-probate.com
Sat Jan 17 09:48:25 PST 2015

*This is not new.**
**
**Around five years ago, I had a PR client whose mother had died the day
before & several weeks before then had signed a REPSA such that the
closing of the sale of her home was in a couple of days.  The buyer
learned that the seller had died & threatened to rescind the purchase if
the sale would not close as scheduled.  My client (D's son & the named
PR in D's Will) wanted the probate to open immediately so he could get
appointed as PR & close the sale as scheduled.**
**
**I prepared the documents, drove to Everett, met with the client, got
him to sign the docs, & presented them ex parte.**
**
**"Not so fast," said the Comm'r.  "This looks funny, applying for
Letters the day after Decedent died.  I want a Death Certificate."  Both
the client & I explained the situation, & that he might lose the sale if
he could not obtain authority to convey D's home, when & as she had
ag**reed to do.**I begged; I pleaded; I cajoled.
**
**"No," said the Comm'r.  "I've ruled.  I want a Death Certificate.**"
**
**I walked to the Snoho Board of Health, a couple of blocks away,
ordered a Death Certificate (which they had yet to receive from the
funeral home), obtained it two days later, submitted it to the Court,
got Letters, & the sale closed as scheduled, by a hair's breath in time.

Yea, Snoho Board of Health; boo, Snoho Comm'r.*
*
**In opening several thousand probates over the last ten years in WA,
this was the only time that I can remember in which I was asked for a
Death Cert by the Court.**
**
**In the 1970s-80s, I practiced in CA, & then & there, as I recall, a
Death Cert was required to open a probate.**

*