[WSBAPT] Small Estate Affidavit (RCW 11.62.010)

Sara D. Longley sara at longley-law.pro
Wed Jan 14 18:24:07 PST 2015

Having prepared one (1) small estate affidavit and having carefully read the
statute at that time, I believe the confusion lies in knowing what, exactly,
your client is claiming.

If, on the one hand, your client is claiming only that portion of the
account to which he has a personal right of ownership, he must simply give
notice to the other potential claimants before doing so.

If, on the other hand, he wishes to claim any portion of the account that
rightfully belongs to a different claiming successor, he must have the
written authority of that other successor in order to take possession of
that successor's portion.

The result is that any claiming successor who doesn't give written authority
to your client will have to do his/her own small estate affidavit to claim
his/her own portion of the account.

I hope it all works out.

Best,

Sara

Sara D. Longley, J.D., LL.M.

Attorney at Law

1718 NW 56th Street #304

Seattle, WA 98107

 <tel:%28206%29%20434-5644> (206) 434-5644

 <mailto:Sara at Longley-law.pro> Sara at Longley-law.pro

 <http://www.longley-law.pro/> www.longley-law.pro