[WSBAPT] Proof of Lost Will

Richard Wills richardwills at washington-probate.com
Fri Feb 20 08:11:08 PST 2015

On 2/19/2015 2:03 PM, Heather deVrieze wrote:

> If all heirs and devisees agree that the copy is a true and correct
> copy of the authentic unrevoked Will, I don’t think you need much
> more. If you don’t have that, you need to go a lot farther.

*I have done something a little different many, many times before
without problems, which is to file a TEDRA Agreement by the interested
parties in which they not only validate the copy of the Will but also
agree that it shall be considered for all purposes as as if it were the
original of Decedent's Will.  Here's its essence:*

1.*Decedent.*Decedent died testate on ,**was then a resident of Seattle,
King**County, Washington, and left property in this state subject to
probate.

2.*Heirs & Beneficiaries.*Decedent died unmarried and survived by his
two children, both adults, who are Decedent’s only heirs:

****

****

3.*Will.*A copy of Decedent's last Will dated , is attached to this
Agreement.Decedent signed the Will on that date while competent, and its
subscribing witnesses are & , whose Affidavit is subscribed to the
Will.Despite a diligent search for the original of Decedent’s Will, it
remains unfound.We believe the attached copy is a true & accurate copy
of Decedent’s Will.We agree that the attached copy shall be considered
for all purposes as if it were the original of Decedent’s Will, & that
it remains valid & unrevoked.

4.*Petition for Probate*.We agree to:

  * The admission to probate of Decedent’s Will, as evidenced by the
    attached copy.
  * The appointment of as Personal Representative of Decedent’s estate.
  * No Bond being required for , as PR.
  * Nonintervention Powers being granted to , as PR.

*If I'm unable to get that, then, yes, I get current Declarations from
the Will's witnesses.*

*And if I can't get that from one of them, I get a Declaration from
somebody who recognizes**that witness' signature.*

*And like Heather, I have found the Court to be reluctant to find a Will
copy acceptable, so I pour on the evidence.*