[WSBAPT] TEDRA Petition

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Feb 12 10:52:33 PST 2015

Richard--Some counties will allow a petition for accounting that doesn't comply with TEDRA? I don't doubt it, but I do notice that requesting an accounting from the PR is a "matter" subject to TEDRA, per RCW 11.96A.030(2)(c)(iv)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=11.96A&full=true#11.96A.030>. I would be worried about filing a petition for accounting that didn't comply with TEDRA. I agree with you that it should be allowed, but TEDRA is the legislative monster that swallowed all prior probate practice, as near as I can tell.

Another interesting conundrum: RCW 11.68.110(2) specifies that the objector must "petition the court for an order" which sounds an awful lot like invoking the court's jurisdiction in the probate itself--meaning I think that the petition should be filed under the probate cause number. But of course all TEDRA petitions must be filed as a separate action, per RCW 11.96A.090. So which one?

The case Marcus Fry recalled--Estate of Harder--makes the point that an objection to closure must effectively invoke the court's jurisdiction over the non-intervention probate. The holding there is simply that a Notice of Mediation under TEDRA does not invoke the court's jurisdiction, and a petition is necessary. Of course that doesn't resolve whether the petition can be filed in the probate case, or has to be filed separately under TEDRA.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC