[WSBAPT] H have Homestead Exemption when wife dies, has a lot of debt... then H dies 8 months later.

Heather deVrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Wed Feb 11 12:09:04 PST 2015

I think this is a situation where the son may need to walk away, unless he can settle claims such that he can sell house for enough to pay the claims and still have funds left over. You can negotiate with creditors, including DSHS, but since the husband is no longer alive, I don't think there is any basis under the law for his estate to petition for the family award.

Even if husband were still alive, I don't think you can escape the DSHS lien. They would defer recovery, and remove the lien from the house if the husband wanted to sell, but the family award doesn't eliminate DSHS lien.

Of course, the prerequisite for requesting the family award is that the funeral and all expenses of last illness have been paid.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D013C2.30F35160]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>

Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.