[WSBAPT] H have Homestead Exemption when wife dies, has a lot of debt... then H dies 8 months later.

Dalynne Singleton dalynne.singleton at singletonjorgensen.com
Wed Feb 11 11:23:34 PST 2015

I have a situation where I opened a probate for both husband and wife.

I've received creditor's claims and a lien from DSHS on the house owned by
the community.

All for the wife.

I've reviewed the statute on homestead exemptions and other posts on the
listserve about this subject.

Can I claim a homestead exemption up to $125,000 for the husband based on
the wife's death?

The claims are not over $125k.

Then, deal with his creditor's claims separately?

If yes, is this a petition to the probate court declaring the homestead
exemption providing notice to all those making creditor's claims for the
wife's estate?

The only asset is the home which is worth approximately $150,000 total, no
mortgage.

Has anyone successfully brought such a petition and the court allowed the
exemption?  One adult son is heir to estates.

Dalynne Singleton

 <http://www.singletonjorgensen.com/>

1541 Piperberry Way SE, Suite 105

Port Orchard, WA  98366

Phone: 360-329-4079

Fax:     360-443-1259

E-mail:  <mailto:lara at singletonjorgensen.com> dalynne at singletonjorgensen.com

Web:     <http://www.singletonjorgensen.com/> www.singletonjorgensen.com

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON

IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments
accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information
protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for
the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege
or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are
not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in
error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or
otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender
by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its
attachments, if any.

---