[WSBAPT] foreclosure purchaser referral needed

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Wed Feb 11 08:42:22 PST 2015

Funny thing, this kind of situation with a condo just walked into my office,
too.

First question: The Bank's deed of trust is not extinguished (foreclosed) at
a Sheriff's tax sale, right?  So the "buyer" gets the property at the
Sheriff's sale by paying off HOA dues, etc. "subject to" the banks deed of
trust.

Second question:  During the one year period of redemption the "buyer"
offers in writing several times to pay off the underlying deed of trust /
promissory note and the Bank never gives him an answer.  Now, five years
later, the Bank wants to add all kinds of interest and finance charges and
inflate the pay-off figure.  The Bank has also just begun foreclosure
proceedings against the deed of trust that the "buyer" had offered to pay
off.  Does the "buyer" have any defense or offense as to the Bank's neglect
of the matter for five years?

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

James R. Doran

Attorney at Law