[WSBAPT] Trust accounting question

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Wed Feb 4 13:02:56 PST 2015

Scenario:
I have a trust with twenty similarly situated beneficiaries.  All but one of the beneficiaries has waived any right to an accounting and they want disbursement.  One of the beneficiaries is demanding an accounting.  My view is that in such an instance, the beneficiary demanding such accounting should bear the entire burden of the cost of the accounting instead of all of the beneficiaries unless the accounting results in an increased distribution amount to all of the beneficiaries.  I am not aware of any authority one way or the other on the issue and therefore I think RCW 11.96A.150 (court's discretion in awarding fees).  Anyone have any definitive case law or at least trial court decision on this issue?

Thank you,

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.