[WSBAPT] Referral to Munich attorney

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Thu Apr 16 17:19:33 PDT 2015

Ken,
In general, I would recommend having two wills ("situs wills"), a Washington will solely for US property (real and personal), and a German will solely for German real property. He may need a French will as well.
Many European jurisdictions (including France) have forced heirship laws that dramatically impact the estate plan, so a German lawyer will generally prepare the German will.
If he is concerned about surviving the surgery and needs to execute his Washington will while overseas, I believe US embassies will notarize the will for a fee. You may also check on what you would need to get an apostile in Germany.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
john at cairn-law.com<mailto:john at cairn-law.com>