[WSBAPT] Small Business Valuation

Patrick J. Galloway patrick at alsnorthwest.com
Thu Apr 9 12:06:35 PDT 2015

My practice has always been to just value the assets assuming that the business died with the decedent and has no value. I have had a number of probates where dad has a significant amount of tools and may have had a handy man or construction type business that was a sole proprietorship and not earning much in the years prior to death - as far as I am aware nobody has come back against my office or my PR's because we didn't document the value of the business properly. If someone is taking over the business then perhaps the decedents CPA (or one of the PR's choosing) could do one with minimal expense based on the past cash flow. It seems that there is minimal risk to the PR for moving forward without a business appraisal given the limited value of the business, but I am curious if others disagree. Is the concern the IRS or that a relative wants to take over the business and other heirs will contest the value assigned upon distribution?

Patrick J. GallowayAdvance Legal Services, PLLC1920 N. Pittsburgh Ste. D-3Kennewick, WA 99336 (509) 851-7884  www.alsnorthwest.com This E-Mail message and any documentation accompanying this transmission may contain privileged and/or confidential  information and is intended solely for the addressee(s) named above.  If you are not the intended addressee/recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on the contents of this E-Mail information is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action against you.  Please reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and immediately delete/destroy the message and any accompanying documents.  Thank you.