[WSBAPT] When "Not" to Advise a Pre-Nup?

Dewey Weddle dwweddle at msn.com
Tue Apr 7 15:18:20 PDT 2015

Victor,

Proceed with caution.  If the parties are not married, I would recommend a pre-nuptial agreement, and one of the tests as to whether such a contract will be enforced is whether both parties had independent legal counsel.  If the parties are already married, a postnuptial agreement should do it, with the same caveat about both parties having independent legal counsel.

The typical prenuptial or postnuptial agreement is an attempt by one or both parties to get around the fact that in a marital dissolution proceeding, all of the property of the parties, both community and separate, comes before the court for a just and equitable distribution.  A well drafted prenuptial or postnuptial agreement clearly identifies what is separate property and what is community property, and makes it plain that neither party, nor their successors, can assert a claim to the separate property of the other in the event of divorce or death.

Having said that, this is an area of the law that frequently results in malpractice claims.  Be careful.

Best regards,

Dewey

Law Office of Dewey W. Weddle, PLLC
909 7th Street