[WSBAPT] Dispute over decedent's remains

Marketa Vorel marketa.vorel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 02:23:35 PST 2014

I knew I'd get one of these one day.  I appreciate any wisdom before I
chase this too far down the rabbit hole.

Deceased and spouse (Client) lived in a meretricious relationship for 16
years (no children by either one), but did not register as domestic
partners.  Deceased left a valid will, naming Client his PR and sole
beneficiary.  Will does not address disposition of remains.  Client and
next of kin (brother of Deceased) disagree about disposition.

My reading of RCW 68.50.160 is that the brother would have authority over
remains if spouse was not registered as domestic partner.  Is the statute
the definitive authority on this or are there any possible exceptions?

Thanks in advance,
M.

--
*Law Office of Marketa Vorel*