[WSBAPT] No-asset insolvent intestate estate, minor child - need a GAL? Who pays?

Richard Wills richardwills at washington-probate.com
Tue Nov 25 13:14:42 PST 2014

*Roger --- An attorney my file & serve a Notice of Intention to
Withdraw, & if no objection is timely filed, the withdrawal becomes
effective on its stated effective date (so long as proper notice was had
--- I file & serve mine by mail & use a 14-day notice period).**
**
**A PR may resign & I believe but do not know that that relieves him or
her of liability from the effective date of his or her withdrawal --- I
haven't had a case to test that.**
**
**But for a PR to be relieved of liability for the estate & particularly
for his or her actions & omissions during his or her administration of
the estate, the PR, according to my understanding, must be discharged,
either formally by the Court or as a result of having filed a valid Decl
of Completion (with the relevant Receipts & Waivers or a Notice of
Filing Thereof etc., as appropriate).  Discharge by the Court, at least
in my experience, can come in two ways:**
*

  * *The Court's entry of a Decree of Final Distribution in which the PR
    is expressly discharged (ie, to close the estate).
    *
  * *The Court's entry of an Order Approving Resignation & Interim
    Report & Accounting of PR in which the PR is expressly discharged
    (ie, a resignation before the estate closes, meaning a successor PR
    will need to be appointed to complete the estate's administration).
    *

*In either of those cases, the PR will have reported & accounted to the
Court for his or her acts, & the Court discharges the PR regarding them
--- but not for undisclosed or fraudulent acts, for which the PR remains
liable (& the estate may thereafter be reopened, if it has been closed,
to address the prior PR's nondisclosure or fraud, of which cases I've
had several --- absent that or the discovery of new estate assets or
notice problems regarding the closing, I don't believe an estate may be
re-opened, the Final Decree truly being final).**
*

*At least that's my understanding of the situation.**
*

*I've had numbers of PR resignations, including myself as a PR, & Comm'r
V has been quite clear that if the PR wants to be relieved of
responsibility, it takes more than a simple resignation --- it takes a
formal discharge, & the only way I know how to obtain that is discussed
above.*

*Perhaps others on the list-serve have other experiences or understandings?

*