[WSBAPT] Putting LLC in revocable living trust?

Mark Higgins markthiggins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 15:05:20 PST 2014

I think it works as a theoretical matter, however, there may be a clause in
the LLC agreement preventing such a transfer of interest.  Most agreements
have only very limited permitted transfers.​

Mark

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 2:42 PM, Heather Kolbly <heather at kolblylaw.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I have husband and wife clients for whom I am drafting a revocable living
> trust.  Husband also is a member of 2 different LLCs with his brothers, who
> live in other states.  He asked about possibly putting his interest in the
> LLCs into the trust.  I know this has been talked about before on the
> listserve, but I don’t recall what was said and I don’t have time to look
> it up.  Has anyone done this?  Is it advisable to place an LLC member’s
> ownership interest in the LLC his RLT?  I am thinking it is probably
> complicated and potentially beyond my scope of experience and skills.  Any
> guidance you can give on this would be appreciated.  At this point, the
> clients are just looking for information on the topic.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Heather Kolbly
>

> *Heather Tobin Kolbly*
>
> *Mobile Attorney *
>
> *KOLBLY LAW FIRM, P.C.*
>
> *Mail:*  704 228th Ave. NE #122, Sammamish, WA  98074
>
> *Office:*  (425) 522-4234 s *Cell:*  (425) 444-1888
>
> Heather at KolblyLaw.com
>
> www.KolblyLaw.com <http://www.kolblylaw.com/>
>

> *CONFIDENTIALITY: **This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and
> may be protected by attorney/client privilege, work product doctrine, or
> other nondisclosure protection. If you are not the intended recipient of
> this e-mail, please contact the sender immediately; you may not read,
> disclose, print, copy, store or disseminate the e-mail or any attachments
> or any information contained therein.*
>
> *IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE:* *To ensure compliance with new
> requirements of the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that, to the
> extent any advice relating to a Federal tax issue is contained in this
> communication, including any attachments, it was not written or intended to
> be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (a) avoiding any tax
> related penalties that may be imposed on you or any other person under the
> Internal Revenue Code, or (b) promoting, marketing or recommending to
> another person any transaction or matter addressed in this communication.*

Mark T. Higgins
Higgins Lock PLLC
P.O. Box 57
Darrington, WA 98241