[WSBAPT] Negligent mother and wrongful death insurance monies

Elena Garella law at garella.com
Thu Nov 6 13:03:35 PST 2014

Hmmm-- look at In re Estate of Evans,181 Wn. App. 436, 446,326 P.3d 755,
760 (Div I 2014), which says:

"We can presume that the legislature knew that treating an abuser as
predeceased would trigger the antilapse statute. The legislature could have
specified that the abuser's descendants were also disinherited. It did not
do so."

It goes on to explain:

<https://advance.lexis.com/document/?pdmfid=1000516&crid=fcd86087-a3bf-469d-89e7-f9806b8bb130&pddocfullpath=%2Fshared%2Fdocument%2Fcases%2Furn%3AcontentItem%3A5C97-Y3K1-F04M-B02G-00000-00&pddocid=urn%3AcontentItem%3A5C97-Y3K1-F04M-B02G-00000-00&pdcontentcomponentid=10841&pdshepid=urn%3AcontentItem%3A5C8T-0GW1-J9X5-V4Y9-00000-00&pdshepcat=initial&ecomp=8hyg&earg=sr3&prid=24f47cc6-e85f-48cd-a3c4-ce545c283004#>"In
the context of slayers, the Washington Supreme Court recognized that most
states have been “reluctant to extend the rule beyond the slayer and deny
the slayer's heirs from taking directly from the victim's estate.” *In re
Estate of Kissinger*, 166 Wn.2d 120, 126, 206 P.3d 665 (2009). This
reluctance generally rests on the notion of fairness to innocent persons.
Mary Louise Fellows, *The Slayer Rule: Not Solely a Matter of Equity*, 71 Iowa
L. Rev. 489, 495 (1986). In her law review article, Fellows points out that
the purpose of the antilapse statute is to imply a devise to further the
testator's intent. *Id.* at 530. The antilapse statute “should not be
viewed differently than a provision in the victim's will for an alternative
taker to the slayer; therefore, extending the fiction of the slayer's death
to the antilapse statute seems correct.” *Id.* She likewise notes that “[w]hen
the slayer does not have the right to control the disposition” of the
testator's estate, “any indirect benefit that results from allowing the
natural objects of the slayer's bounty to take from the victim's estate
does not warrant disqualifying these innocent persons.” *Id.* at 495."

In other words, the court does not accept the theory that the apple does
not fall far from the tree!