[WSBAPT] Off Topic - Student Rights at University

Paul Grant paulnnepa at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 12:54:16 PDT 2014

It seems like I only have "off-topic" questions lately.... so sorry!

Client's child was arrested for a felony charge and school (state
university) immediately imposed an interim suspension.  See WAC
516-21-260.  University has student make appointment with Dean to
"explain" why they believe the interim suspension should be removed so the
student can return to classes (and it's finals week just to make it all
that more fun).  So, in my mind, we have a felony charge, student lawyer's
up, then we have a state-actor demanding for the student to give
testimony... I am going to the Dean meeting with student, any thoughts of
what I should expect or be concerned about.  First issue that comes to
mind is that any conversation can be available for the prosecutor so
student makes no admissions to the issues at hand.

This is SO not my area of law but for reasons I will not state here I am
unable to walk away from representing this student.

Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.  Please respond off list so we do not
clog up everyone's email with this issue.

paulnnepa at gmail.com

Thank you in advance!

Paul H. Grant - JD, LL.M

Planning with Purpose, Inc
Lynnwood, WA 98036
425-939-9948
www.planningwithpurposeinc.com

Estate Planning. Business Planning. Wealth Succession.

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.