[WSBAPT] QTIP Trust Estate Tax problem

Sharon English senglish at ylclaw.com
Wed Jul 23 15:48:49 PDT 2014

I’m curious if any of you smart folks have dealt with this scenario and
how you handled it:

My client is a successor trustee of a QTIP trust.  The original
trustee/beneficiary (surviving spouse, client’s step-mother) passed away
last year.  The PR for the surviving spouse’s estate (client’s
step-brother) has not completed an estate tax return, and after many
months of pestering, it doesn’t look like he will be doing one anytime
soon.  My client does not believe there will be any WA state estate taxes
owed for the surviving spouse’s estate (due to most of the estate
qualifying for the farmland deduction), however, without the tax return
being filed, we can’t be certain.  She obviously does not have legal
authority to file the estate tax return, since that is the PR’s duty.  She
would like to distribute the remaining trust funds, but is concerned about
any potential personal liability for distributing funds without proof that
the estate tax return was completed.  (In case it wasn’t obvious, this is
a blended family where no one really gets along.)

The client does not want to spend too much time and money fighting about
this, since everyone involved seems fairly certain there would not be any
estate taxes due, however, we want to protect her as much as possible from
any liability.

Any insights would be most welcome…

Thank you.

Sharon English

Attorney at Law

YOUNGLOVE & COKER, P.L.L.C.

1800 Cooper Point Road SW #16

Olympia, WA 98502

(360)357.7791 (phone)

(360)754.9268 (fax)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this ELECTRONIC MAIL
transmission is confidential.  It may also be subject to the
attorney-client privilege or be privileged work product or proprietary
information.  This information is intended for the exclusive use of the
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution (other than
to the addressee(s)), copying or taking of any action because of this
information is strictly prohibited.

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.