[WSBAPT] Washington QTIP

Denver Gant denver at verislawgroup.com
Thu Jul 31 09:37:00 PDT 2014

Hello all:

PCs asked me to review a lengthy (over 100 page) revocable living trust
(RLT) drafted by a knowledgeable estate planning attorney in California.
The PCs spend a majority of their time in Washington, but also own a condo
in California that they use over the winter.  They face Washington estate
taxes, but nothing federally.  The RLT make sense as drafted, but, not
unexpectedly, I found the QTIP language in the RLT is accounts for
federal, not Washington, estate taxes. Thus, I need make a small amendment
to make it possible to make a Washington QTIP election.

The issue is that the RLT allocates the decedent’s estate into various
trusts using a fractional approach that I have not used in the past.  So,
I am looking for QTIP allocation language that is closer to the fractional
approach used in the RLT.  An ideal example would be one that addresses
both federal and Washington QTIP elections.  Any assistance or examples
people would be willing to provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Denver R. Gant

Veris Law Group PLLC

1809 Seventh Avenue, Suite 1400

Seattle, WA 98101

Direct: (206) 829-8712

Main: (206) 829-9590

denver at verislawgroup.com

www.verislawgroup.com <http://www.verislawgroup.com/>

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: Any federal tax advice contained in this
email is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the
purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue
Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another person any
tax-related matter.

Confidentiality Notice: This email is confidential and may be
attorney-client privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please
do not print, copy, retransmit, or otherwise use any information in this
email. Please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in
error and delete the copy you received.

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.