[WSBAPT] Disclaimer of S Corp shares

jeffrey winter jdwinter at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 14:37:10 PDT 2014

Listmates:

Deceased was a health care professional who owned two businesses.  Neither
was apparently set up as a professional service corporation, but both
arguably should have been.

 One business, in which the decedent was sole shareholder(business #1) was
sold to third party practitioners about the time of his death.  His
corporation continues to receive payments from purchasers.  The
corporation made an S election.   The second business (business #2) has a
partner who I believe is properly licensed, but there is no buy/sell in
effect.

My query with respect to business #1 is:  can the surviving spouse
disclaim the shares (and her community interest therein) to a disclaimer
trust for purposes of reducing her taxable estate?  Is there anything
beyond making a QSST election (and executing the corporate transfer
documents as PR of the estate) that the surviving spouse needs to do to
effect this transfer?  (She will be the only income and principal
beneficiary of the trust until her death)

The twist, of course, is that in my view, the spouse is not eligible to be
a shareholder (either in her individual capacity nor as trustee of the
disclaimer trust) because she is not licensed to practice.  On the other
hand, there is no need for her to practice -- she is merely effecting
receipt of payments for purposes of winding up the business.  RCW
18.100.118 allows an estate to hold such shares, but only for 12 months.
What happens after that -- dissolve the corp and do a purchaser's
assignment to the disclaimer trust?  The accountant involved would like to
steer clear of dissolving the corporation and distributing its asset....

With respect to business #2, we have not approached the partner, but what
techniques are available to induce a fair sale to the estate?

As always, I greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Jeffrey D. Winter

Law Office of Jeffrey D. Winter, P.S.
604 North Main Street
Ellensburg, WA 98926
(509) 925-9600 tel.
(509) 925-9606 fax

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.