[WSBAPT] Notice of Appointment of Administrator for Intestate Estate Necessary?

Richard Wills richardwills at washington-probate.com
Wed Jul 30 13:21:35 PDT 2014

In wrongful death case probates such as yours, I don't ask for NP (unless
I have a written consent from all requiring notice), obviating the need
for a noticed hearing.  I just get my Cl appt'd as PR, & if there's a
lurking wrongful death issue, of which I have had many & closed one just
this morning (the woman killed on the 520 bridge last year by the wrongway
drunk driver), I load up the Order with all kinds of authority for the PR
to bring tort actions.  I've had numbers of panic calls from PI attys
saying my Cl wants to bring a wrongful death suit, it must be brought by
the D's PR, & the SOL for filing the suit runs tomorrow --- can you get my
Cl appt'd promptly, so I can timely file suit.  Those are especially the
cases in which I don't want to have to give notice & just want to get the
PR appt'd, preferably yesterday if not sooner.

Somewhat irrelevant, but after 40 days after death, I believe that notice
is no longer required to be sent to any SS, & I don't do so.  This issue
was objected to by the SS when I later petitioned for NP, & at least in
that estate, Comm'r W ruled that notice to D's SS under the notice to SS
statute was no longer required after 40 days, as the SS by then had lost
the right to petition the Court to be appointed as either PR over the
entire estate or as PR over the CP despite D's having died with a Will
that named another as Exec'r.