[WSBAPT] RCW 59.18.260 - Security Deposit Question

Spencer Stromberg spencers at sullivanstromberg.com
Sat Dec 13 12:42:01 PST 2014

I'm chiming in a little late on this one, but I agree with you Rob, that
the landlord doesn't need to know the exact amount of the cost of the
repairs if there is a valid reason for not having the repairs done in 14
days.  The way I read the statute, the landlord is required to notify the
tenant within 14 days of how the unreturned portion of the deposit is being
used, and to return the remainder. If the estimate to repair the damages is
in excess of the deposit amount, I think all that is required is a
description of the required repairs and a statement that the full deposit
is going to be used toward the repairs.  Then bill the tenant for the
excess repair costs after the repairs are complete.  If the estimated
repair costs are less than the deposit, refund the excess deposit with the
notice stating that a portion is being withheld to pay for the estimated
repair costs.  Then promptly refund any of the withheld deposit that is not
actually needed to pay for repairs.

With regard to the original questions about paragraph 31 - I agree that it
doesn't meet the statute. A separate document is required that actually
describes the condition of specific features of the apartment.  I also
don't read the statute to require a move-out walk-through with the tenant,
or to necessarily use the move-in condition checklist at move-out.  But, I
advise my landlord clients to use the same form for move-out condition that
was used for move-in condition with that tenant.  That way, a single
document shows the state of the unit at both times.  Given the downsides to
not handling the deposit and move-in checklist correctly, it is worth
dealing with the hassle.  I've found that once landlords get a bit of a
standard process in place, they don't find it that difficult to comply.

Spencer A. W. Stromberg
Sullivan Stromberg, PLLC
827 W. 1st Avenue, Suite 425
Spokane, WA 99201-3914
P: 509.413.1004
F: 509.413.1078
E: spencers at sullivanstromberg.com

www.sullivanstromberg.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.