[WSBAPT] Exempting Landlord from Landlord Tenant Act RCW 59.18.360

Jeanne Dawes jjdawes at goregrewe.com
Fri Aug 29 09:30:44 PDT 2014

Has anyone acting for tenant approved the exemption of the Landlord
pursuant to RCWQ 59.18.360.

If so, would you provide me with your analysis for approving the
application for exemption as complying with the statute.

Also let me know if you are in Spokane and are willing to approve the
exemption in writing on behalf of a tenant.  I’m not comfortable with
this, and if the tenant decides to move forward I will need to refer him
out.

Here is the statute:

RCW 59.18.360

Exemptions.
A landlord and tenant may agree, in writing, to exempt themselves from the
provisions of RCW  <http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.060>
59.18.060,  <http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.100>
59.18.100,  <http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.110>
59.18.110,  <http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.120>
59.18.120,  <http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.130>
59.18.130, and  <http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=59.18.190>
59.18.190 if the following conditions have been met:

     (1) The agreement may not appear in a standard form lease or rental
agreement;

     (2) There is no substantial inequality in the bargaining position of
the two parties;

     (3) The exemption does not violate the public policy of this state in
favor of the ensuring safe, and sanitary housing; and

     (4) Either the local county prosecutor's office or the consumer
protection division of the attorney general's office or the attorney for
the tenant has approved in writing the application for exemption as
complying with subsections (1) through (3) of this section.

[1973 1st ex.s. c 207 § 36.]

Jeanne J. Dawes

Attorney at Law

Gore & Grewe, P.S.

103 E. Indiana Avenue, Suite A

Spokane, WA 99207-2317

Voice:  509-326-7500

Fax:      509-326-7503

 <mailto:jjdawes at goregrewe.com> jjdawes at goregrewe.com

INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL TRANSMISSION IS PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL.  IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, DO NOT READ,
DISTRIBUTE OR REPRODUCE THIS TRANSMISSION (INCLUDING ANY ATTACHMENTS).  IF
YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER BY E-MAIL
REPLY.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To ensure compliance with requirements
imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. tax advice contained
in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or
written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or
(ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction
or matter addressed herein.

=======================

- To contact the list administrator, send a message to:
webmaster at wsbarppt.com

with the following in the body of the message: unsubscribe wsbapt - OR -
send a message to webmaster at wsbarppt.com asking that you be removed from
the wsbapt list.

Information provided on this list should not be considered legal advice.
As with all lists - let the reader beware! No warranties or
representations are made as to the accuracy of any information provided.
All opinions and comments in this message represent the views of the
author and do not necessarily have the endorsement of the Washington State
Bar Association nor its officers or agents.