[Vision2020] Fwd: LWV of Idaho Action Alert - PLEASE READ ASAP

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:42:13 PST 2022

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 3:47 PM Roger Hayes <rhayesmoscowid at gmail.com> wrote:

"Additionally, these bills read like they have been authored by out of
state interests..."

-------------------------
The political talking point about "critical race theory" that Idaho made
into a  major issue was also likely sourced from political strategists at
the national level.  As if Idaho politicians decided independently, with no
input from outside the state, to get fired up about critical race theory,
or urgent needs to defend election malfeasance?  Millions of US voters
believe that Biden's "win" was a theft from Trump, a theory Trump promoted
and in one way or another has been supported by other republicans.

Barton Gellman in The Atlantic magazine explores in-depth the ongoing
efforts to influence the upcoming elections, an article that is a must
read!  A source for the magnitude of belief that major election malfeasance
occurred in the 2020 election is quoted from this article lower down, with
a couple of other brief excerpts.
---------------------------------------
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett

How Donald Trump Could Subvert the 2024 Election - The Atlantic
<https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/01/january-6-insurrection-trump-coup-2024-election/620843/>

January 6 was practice. Donald Trump’s GOP is much better positioned to
subvert the next election.

“The democratic emergency is already here,” Richard L. Hasen, a professor
of law and political science at UC Irvine, told me in late October. Hasen
prides himself on a judicious temperament. Only a year ago he was
cautioning me against hyperbole. Now he speaks matter-of-factly about the
death of our body politic. “We face a serious risk that American democracy
as we know it will come to an end in 2024,” he said, “but urgent action is
not happening.”

For more than a year now, with tacit and explicit support from their
party’s national leaders, state Republican operatives have been building an
apparatus of election theft. Elected officials in Arizona, Texas, Georgia,
Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and other states have studied Donald
Trump’s crusade to overturn the 2020 election. They have noted the points
of failure and have taken concrete steps to avoid failure next time. Some
of them have rewritten statutes to seize partisan control of decisions
about which ballots to count and which to discard, which results to certify
and which to reject. They are driving out or stripping power from election
officials who refused to go along with the plot last November, aiming to
replace them with exponents of the Big Lie. They are fine-tuning a legal
argument that purports to allow state legislators to override the choice of
the voters.

Here, the opposite happened: the more extreme the sentiments, the greater
the number of respondents who endorsed them. In the June results, just over
8 percent agreed that Biden was illegitimate and that violence was
justified to restore Trump to the White House. That corresponds to 21
million American adults. Pape called them “committed insurrectionists.” (An
unrelated Public Religion Research Institute survey on November 1 found
that an even larger proportion of Americans, 12 percent, believed both that
the election had been stolen from Trump and that “true American patriots
may have to resort to violence in order to save our country.”)

I am writing to you today because I am concerned about 5 bills now pending