[Vision2020] Fivethirtyeight.com 4-25-22 "Why Being Anti-Science Is Now Part Of Many Rural Americans’ Identity"

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Mon Apr 25 23:09:28 PDT 2022

On 4/25/22 20:16, Ted Moffett wrote:
> https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-being-anti-science-is-now-part-of-many-rural-americans-identity/
>
> See chart in this article showing shift between Republican and
> Democrat "confidence" in the "scientific community" from 2015 to 2021.
>
> This just cannot be correct!  If it is, well...  I'm speechless...

The complexity of inter-related ideas and the imprecision of polling and
statistical results are, together, yielding an amalgam that may be
scarier externally than it is internally. The wider divergences observed
since Trump and his sycophantic followers have emerged may be dampened
somewhat if national electoral blowouts can be prevented during the next
three years.

Which is not to suggest that there are not serious and difficult ideas
to analyze within this subject matter.  The forces with resources are
increasingly less accommodating of diverse dialogue, and more demanding,
silently if possible, of accumulation and domination of revenues,
riches, and resistance to change that could moderate temperatures and
pressures among partitions of social life.

We live in interesting times.

Ken