[Vision2020] Give up your Powerball dreams

Ron Force ronforce at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 19:37:10 PST 2021

Idaho Powerball Fans Out Of Luck As State Ends Game Over Distaste For
Foreign Participation
By NWPB News <https://www.nwpb.org/author/nwpbnews/>  March 10, 2021
BY KEITH RIDLER / AP

Idaho lawmakers fearing foreign participation in the Powerball lottery
killed legislation on Wednesday that would have allowed the game with huge
jackpots to continue in the state after a run of more than 30 years.

The move came after Idaho Lottery officials sought a change in state law
because Powerball is expanding to include Australia in 2021 and Britain in
2022. But current Idaho law only allows lotteries in the state played by
people in the U.S. and Canada....

...Republican Rep. Heather Scott worried that when Australia joins
Powerball, the country’s officials might use revenue generated for
government coffers to back causes she opposes.

Scott expressed concern that could happen “in Australia anti-gun causes,
which they see as good and we see as not good.”

Democratic Rep. Chris Mathias said the Powerball in Idaho has been good for
business and that the state took millions for public education, but had
concerns that more countries might be added to the Powerball participation
roster.

“My concern is the delegation of authority, and essentially turning over
our sovereignty to this Multi-State Lottery Association,” he said. “I think
we should be concerned that they could be persuaded, they could be lobbied
heavily by countries that we are not particularly friendly with.”

Idaho lottery officials have said the game generates about $28 million in
sales annually in the state, with schools receiving about $14 million per
year...

https://www.nwpb.org/2021/03/10/idaho-powerball-fans-out-of-luck-as-state-ends-game-over-distaste-for-foreign-participation/
Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA