[Vision2020] Roll up your sleeve, coach

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jul 28 05:03:40 PDT 2021

Courtesy of today’s Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Shirley Ringo.

—————————————————

Roll up your sleeve, coach

Nick Rolovich will not represent Washington State University in person at the Pac-12 football media day this week. Why? The Pac-12 Conference requires that all who attend be fully vaccinated. Rolovich refuses to do so. He has “elected not to receive a COVID-19 vaccine for reasons which will remain private.” I guess he doesn’t think it is any of our business.

Of course, if the aggressive delta variant causes numbers of individuals to become ill, all of us may be forced to mask up again. Restaurants and stores may close again. There may be a return to distance learning for students. The viability of his team may be affected by loss of players who test positive. Children younger than 12 are vulnerable and there is no vaccine for them yet. The more time we give this virus to thrive, the more likely variants are to emerge. I guess it is our business after all.

Athletic Director Pat Chun said, “While WSU has a vaccination mandate, there are policies and procedures for employees to follow who are not vaccinated. As a department, we will continue to educate our student-athletes, staff and coaches on the benefits of vaccinations and do all that we can to protect the health and safety of those in our charge.”

Some mandate. In his position as coach and teacher, Rolovich is in a position to influence young people. Apparently he won’t help with educating student athletes on the benefits of vaccinations.

Hut one, hut two, roll up your sleeve.

Shirley Ringo
Moscow

How ‘bout it, coach?  Here’s mine . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.net

“A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met.”
- Roy E. Stolworthy