[Vision2020] Oh Democracy, Where Are You?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jan 7 04:57:24 PST 2021

Oh Democracy, Where Are You?
(author unknown)

Oh, Democracy! Where are you?
I tried searching for you, but found nothing.
Do you exist or is everyone just bluffing?
You were there in every law book and every election paper,
Are you even alive or have you vanished into the air like vapour?

Oh, Democracy! Where are you?
You were promised to me as my right,
Now you are not here, look at your people’s plight.
I wanted to talk to you, or at least, have a discussion,
Like, how far we both can take our people, as a nation.

Oh, Democracy! Where are you?
Tolerance and pluralism were your virtues, I was told,
I guess that has become a story thousand years old.
Lynchings and corruption have swept you by your feet,
Anarchy! Jungle raj! Why the hell are these words are on repeat?

Oh, Democracy! Where are you?
You were entrusted to bring the common man to power,
Not create a difference between jhuggi & tower.
We were counting on you for your maturity,
I guess we were wrong to let you take charge of authority.

Oh, Democracy! Where are you?
Fair elections were supposed to be your good manner,
Instead, electoral dictatorship is rising under your banner.
Everyone was supposed to be equal and be treated the same,
How could you turn them into a vote bank, and play the dirty politics game?

Oh, Democracy! It’s high time you should come home,
Let people’s sovereignty become a reality, and not just the norm.

http://www.moscowcares.com/

“A stranger is just a friend you haven't met.” - Roy E. Stolworthy