[Vision2020] Voting for Zabala, Laflin, Kelly in Moscow election

Moscow Cares moscowcares at moscow.com
Tue Oct 22 04:17:56 PDT 2019

Courtesy of today’s (October 22, 2019) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with special thanks to Victoria Seever,

——————————————

Voting for Zabala, Laflin, Kelly in Moscow election

It’s tough to maintain a separation of church and state. The desire to serve comes from our spiritual center. As a guide, that is a pervasive light. But in politics, you serve in a sea of lights and must respect and be responsive to many a brightness other than your own. Church seems to have entered city council elections and that’s troubling.

I would not like Moscow to become some kind of ‘Vatican’ city for any denomination. It’s a safe bet that those church-goers will vote in force. It’s critical that the whole town votes for its civic representatives for city government.

The current City Council is balanced and collaborative and that’s a trend I want continued. They’ve thoughtfully grappled with divvying up resources for day-to-day operations and chipping away at bigger issues. They’ve made greater efforts to hear us and respond in kind. That extends way beyond jobs and housing geared toward a particular church-interested group. It takes much more to make a strong city.

I want candidates with broad life-experience, eyes wide open and strong civic skills. Who demonstrate depth when asked the hard questions. Who know the difference between what a city actually does and where city government can only prepare the ground in order for others to choose how to build Moscow. Who are inclusive and insightful while we work for the long view of our joint future. Who foster Moscow’s traditions and prosperity without losing them.

Anne Zabala is a proven council member who consistently exhibits a sharp eye and ear attuned to a greater Moscow. Both Maureen Laflin and Sandra Kelly share those attributes and have experience well-applied to council duties. They are impressively competent and energetic. My vote is for Zabala, Laflin, and Kelly.

Victoria Seever,
Moscow

http://www.MoscowCares.com