[Vision2020] Property Taxes

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Wed Jul 10 15:25:11 PDT 2019

My, oh my, flexible governmental accounting theory presents itself in
the form of capitalizing future salary increases into a virtual "trust
fund" for officers' benefits.  That should give future budgeting efforts
a pretzel twist.  Will government financial statements disclose the
capitalized future salary expenditures versus the actual expenditures
via "usual" appropriation and expenditure processes?

Does this creative accounting have other uses?  For example, might the
University of Idaho purchase a generously-sized chunk of US National
Forest for research purposes, agreeing a premium price for the
acquisition, then put the difference between the actual purchase price
of the land and the funding resources for it into a long-term trust fund
for university faculty pay raises?  Such a plan would put a new twist to
the idea of the forests helping out the schools, but hey, as the wit
once quipped, some things, such as surgery, sausage making, and public
finance should not be examined too closely.

Ken