[Vision2020] Property Taxes

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jul 10 08:38:42 PDT 2019

Courtesy of the City of Moscow Bond Election Information Brochure (Bond Election - May 21, 2019) at:

https://www.ci.moscow.id.us/DocumentCenter/View/17542/May-21-2019-Bond-Information-Booklet

———————————————

Cost Estimates

Cost estimates for each phase of the project are outlined below and include the necessary bond financing cost. The total figure noted here is rounded to $9.64 million for simplicity throughout the information prepared by the City of Moscow.

Tax Imoacts

The cost for this project (including associated bond fees) totals $9,640,000. As a result of the City’s excellent financial standing and AA- bond rating, the projected interest rate the City would receive for a 10-year bond is 2.21%.

The proposed 10-year bond would have an annual cost to the taxpayer of $85 per year per $100,000 of taxable valuation.

For example, a home with an assessed valuation of $250,000, with a $150,000 taxable value after deducting the $100,000 Idaho State homeowner’s exemption, would see an annual property tax increase of $126.86 per year over the ten-year bond period. The chart below outlines the tax impact for a variety of home values. It is important to note that Latah County Assessor sets the taxable value; it is not affected by the sale or purchase price of a home.

The City has held voter-approved bonds in the past, most recently for the construction of the Hamilton-Lowe Aquatic Center and Fire Station #3.

These bonds have all been paid in full on or before maturity, and at this time the City has no outstanding general obligation bonds.

The City Council chose a 10-year term as it provides an interest savings of more than $2,200,000 to the taxpayers when compared to a 20-year term. The options of 15- and 20-year bond terms were also considered, but given the higher interest rate and longer term, there would be an additional $1 to $2.6 million in interest paid. As such, the City has chosen a 10-year term to ensure the proposed project wraps up as quickly as possible, making the most of bond dollars specific to this project without generating unnecessary additional interest costs.

http://www.MoscowCares.com